Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Things Said / Summer 1970

Things Said

I felt free there

Perhaps because home was faraway

And the people were strangers

Remember how I played my guitar for you?

You said I looked so content when I played.

I was singing for you.


The tide and the sand were our playground

I had never felt so in love

They must have thought us transients

Like a scene from a movie

Just two, needing each other


The bonfire that night made me sad

I knew our time was slipping away

All we could do was sing songs

And wait for the fire to die

Then we escaped for awhile

Where we laid in the sand


The things we said still echo within me

I never thought you would say you loved me.

I felt the same but the words were hard to say.

Why you cried then I didn’t understand.

All you did was close your hand tightly.


I kissed you forever that night

Even in my dreams

That next morning was quiet.

Going back I just held you

I laid in your lap like a baby

I felt like a child secure in your caress.


Time diminished the memory of those moments

And people changed, you and I.

I wish you had never told me about that phone call

That call to him after we went in that night.

Is that why you cried?


I suppose the sand or moon or just circumstance

Made us say those things while there.

Remember how I played my guitar for you?

You said I looked so content when I sang.

I was singing for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment