Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Azurites- A Tip for Potential Time Travellers


Maybe it's a tradition everywhere. I don't know. Creating shrines or desktop altars to commemorate the life of a lost friend or family member. Here in the Deep South it's done for the benefit of the one's left behind dealing with the grief brought on by that loss. At its best it serves as a way to channel one's affection toward that person post mortem and at its worst eliminate the need to make a trip to the cemetery. I am a person who saves stuff...letters, photos, trinkets,souvenirs and mementos from my past. I never thought about it much until I had the means through online social networks to share all of these memories with old friends that I was now easily able to re-connect, reminisce and catch up with after years of separation. The process of rummaging through all those photos and letters was much like a trip through time for me with clear divisions of particular eras and the people from each of those eras. With my stack of stuff I revisited my past and for better or worse I allowed my self to re-live those relationships that were so important to me over the years. Here is my advice to you after having traveled back decades and finally returning to the present. Let it go...just let it go. As I have said before ,when travelling through time you run the risk of altering past events. A friend recently corrected me when I wrote those words to him. He insisted that it was not the trip back that changed the event but the return to the present that ultimately changed my perception of the event. That perception was changed by the reconnection with those who were there with you and who now have their own version of the past that conflicts with yours. And there is the problem. And here is my tip. Memories are delicate entities. Keep them to yourself and eliminate the danger of seeing your past revised by others who delight in destroying it. I am lucky, in that I actually saved the documents from my past and can produce evidence to substantiate my "version" of the past. If you do decide to step inside the time machine and push the button, make sure you collect your evidence first and lock it safely in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment