Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jamie


Not everything I write is about me and that is the case with this song. Jamie Abney was a girl who worked with me at the theater in Slidell back in the mid-seventies. The song was the result of a conversation between Jamie and me about her boyfriend of many years. It is written in that form with recollections of how the two were seemingly falling out of love. The core message of the song is obvious as one listens and furthermore I still believe it is true even today. On a side note, I was inspired to write this song after hearing a recording of a Kris Kristofferson 1970 composition called "Casey's Last Ride." I was impressed with the power of his lyrics and his ability to create and tell a story so poignantly.
"Casey's Last Ride" was recorded later by Johnny Cash and then even later by John Denver. I began to consider that maybe songwriting could actually be it's own reward above and beyond performing.

1 comment:

  1. As beautiful and timely today, as the first time you played it for me Rick.
    ❤️🎼

    ReplyDelete