Friday, July 23, 2010

Resurrection

I dug you up tonight
from deep down in the earth
your resting place for untold years
disturbed the sacred ground
and dragged you from the scene

I propped you up tonight
reposed gravely silent on the couch
your frail remains lit by pale moonlight
a pallid corpse in eerie shroud
a dearth of flesh remained

hollow sockets where sweet emerald eyes once shined
a smile...those lips...now left in ghastly grimace fixed
hair spun from raven angels undone by mortal webs
soft curves conquered by brittle bones of unmarrowed pore
once beating heart absent in this frigid coil.

love me...love me again. fill me with forgotten joy
revive me with your cold caress, arise in bold defiance
of all that would destroy you.
Heal me with your kind embrace, save me from my walking death
love me...please love me again...give me life again

abandoned pride revealed in grotesque desperation
and from this visage no soft whispers came
no apology, no regret, no comfort spoke
despite my manic pleadings, all ignored. complacent to the end
splintered passion hung heavy in the air

I cannot put you back
among the worms whose feast has turned you
beneath the soil in morbid solitude
wrapped in death's linen
life begs to death and death to life remembered

I cannot put you back
I will not put you back

3 comments:

  1. Okay.....therapy time....looking backwards in the moving vehicle of life will make you crash....(loosely based on advice given by William Faulkner in SOUND AND FURY). What is that movie where Kate Winslet gets her lover erased from her mind...what a wonderful service for the unbalanced. I guess Romantics have to have those thorns pressing in the flesh to sing..(vomit---I'm full of cliches tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized you were so desperate back then! This apropo Halloween perversely pleasing love sonnet would make Edgar Allen Poe blush! It only gave me Rouge Cheeks from spanking myself for reading this, and enjoying it. HA! ThBigEZsCadillacJack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this again for Halloween 2019 has given me the realization that as you grow old, you slowly fall in love with death. I have to go now. I have some of my own corpses to dig up, prop up, and revive... bringing new life to long dead loves. ThBigEZsCadillacJack

    ReplyDelete